Early last year, just after the new year had dawned, I posted 3 separate blogs reviewing the previous year (2011). This year I’ve decided to lump the same 3 topics into a single, somewhat long, post. So get some popcorn to enjoy a little bed time reading.
The first half of 2012 ended of what might have been the toughest 2 year stretch of my adult life as my professional career was affecting my health and personal life. However, I was able to make some changes to get back to enjoying life the way I think I should… at the local watering hole. Just kidding, sort of. Now that the turnaround has started I’m hoping 2013 will turn out to be a great year.
Last year I used travel itineraries saved in my inbox to determine where I had been during 2011. This year I kept a spreadsheet tracking my travels as they came and went, making things a bit easier to summarize now for all my loyal readers. Those of you that visited the blog during the year were also able to keep up following each of the various trips. I managed to travel a total of 92 days and 37,246 miles through the air during 2012. However, 27 of those 92 travel days were for personal trips. This was a decrease from 2011 when I traveled 106 days and 45,674 miles through the air, especially if you remove personal trips from the equation. Not included in the total days and miles were 2 trips to San Diego, a two day personal trip and a 4 day business trip, both of which I drove to. I reference those trips only because they required overnight stays at a hotel. Although I’m happy the travel days decreased last year, I was a little disappointed losing A-List status with Southwest. A small price to pay for a little more sanity.
Cities I visited during 2012 included:
- Birmingham, AL
- Denver, CO
- Indianapolis, IN
- Las Vegas, NV
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Sacramento, CA
- Salt Lake City, UT
- San Diego, CA
I set a standard group of 5 goals for 2010, which I decided to use as a baseline for 2011 and 2012, and will use again for 2013. The goals are pretty simple, with 1 overriding goal; work out 150 days during the year. This goal is supporting with 4 sub-goals regarding exercise and one other goal.
- Total Hikes – 5
- Total Destination Bike Rides – 5
- Total Rounds of Golf – 8
- Total Exercise Days (Cardo/Weights) – 132
- New Vacation Destination – 1
Well, here are the final results:
- Total Hikes – 0 (0%)
- Total Destination Bike Rides – 0 (0%)
- Total Rounds of Golf – 7 (88%)
- Total Exercise Days – 25 (19%)
- New Vacation Destination – Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (100%)
Outside of almost hitting my goal of 8 rounds of golf, all I can say is it was a bad year, having done some sort of exercise only 21% of the goal (150). Hopefully 2013 will turn out a little better.
I’m also adding a new mini-goal for 2013. During the past few years I’ve gotten to be a little lazy during the weekday morning, spending the first hour or two lounging in bed watching the news or a tv show. It really is just a big waste of time and a habit I’m going to try to break. This only includes weekdays though, weekends are for lounging. No reason to make any changes there.
Posting & Toasting
The blog incurred a big change during 2012, moving from the self hosted wordpress.org to the WordPress hosted site. This was mostly seamless to all of my (2) loyal readers, but required some effort in the back end to get things set up. This also resulted in some savings as I no longer have to pay GoDaddy to host my data, with WordPress only charging to host my domain name, which results in less cost and hassle.
Overall, this was probably my most consistent year posting to the blog as I had two main topics to post about, travel and fantasy football. Here and there I tried to add a few new topics, but nothing stuck. I’ll continue testing out new ideas and building on current ideas to make things more interesting. Then again, my posts are pretty boring, so things can only get better… assuming I at least keep posting.
Here are some interesting stats about the blog from last year:
- 17 – Most comments by a single reader (Joker36). I think he can do better during 2013.
- 89 – Busiest day on December 11th;. This was the 2nd; highest single day total to the 90 hits reached on October 26, 2010.
- 104 – Top viewed page belongs to the 2011 Fantasy Football Preview published on September 11, 2011. Considering the topic I’m a little confused as to why this was the most popular post during 2012.
- 428 – Number of page views during the month of March, beating out the best month of 2011 (November – 392).
- 2,995 – Total pages views, which is 88 less than 2011.
- 14,733 – Total page hits on the blog since WordPress started tracking page hits.
Overall it was a successful year for the blog and I look forward to more good years ahead.